Easy to make guide - Beef Stew

1:13:00 AM Unknown 0 Comments

This is my own take on beef stew. 

My take on homemade beef stew
Malaysia doesn't really have a lot of choices for spices available for the general public (either that, or it's just not available where I shop) so I had to look up several recipes on youtube that was acceptable for my shopping cart.

If you want to see the video I referenced after, here it is! Basic Beef Stew Video

Anyway, you will want :
beef chunks (I got mine from a local supermarket, and I bought RM 7.60 worth of meat) 
salt & pepper
green onion (1 unit, chopped)
whatever herbs you like
basil leaves (2 pieces)
a carrot
2 potatoes (for this portion, it was more than enough)
Beef stock 
Tomato paste

Looks like a lot of stuff but they are good! 

So, I season the beef chunks with salt & pepper ( not too much, because the beef stock and onions will add on the salt flavour)
Beef chunks seasoned with salt & pepper

And then while waiting for the flavour to sink in, chop your carrots & potatoes & onions!! I prepared way too much carrots & potatoes (regrets much)
chopped and diced carrots, potatoes and onions!

So yay! Time to cook, I am using olive oil to lightly coat the non-stick pan, but please use a pot, because it would be easier as you want to use the caramelized bottom to mix with the paste and stock. I changed half-way. 

Pouring olive oil, pour, pour, pour!

Now, it will start smelling good but please tahan (refrain) from eating it. I do 1-2 minutes on high heat to get a nice brown sear. You will want it to be medium rare because the meat will need to be in the heat again later on.

Searing beef chunks, smelling good~

The salt & pepper caramelizing 

Take our the beef chunks and place a side. Using the same pot, stir the green onions. here you add a pinch of salt. I really recommend a pinch. pinch..


Leave it for about, 2 minutes, it will start browning and caramelize 


blurred, but caramelized onions. 

Not so blur version, on high heat.

Then we add in the tomato paste! I added to about a quarter of the pot's height. Wait for about 2 minutes for the paste to thicken, while doing so, stir the mix and ensure you "scratch" the bottom of the pot so that the beef juice and onion caramel will blend well with the tomato paste. After the paste thickens, add a dash of flour. This will help the stew gravy to thicken later.

Blood, fresh blood!
 I took hot water and added 4 cubes of beef stock cubes. Diluted it into two cups and poured into the paste-with-flour.
Taste to see if it too salty for your liking.
 I added the beef at this stage into the pot

Yes, go in there chunks of beef. In you go~

So now, we add two basil leave (please don't add more, you will overpower the beef flavour) and i added mixed herbs (pre-bought in a bottle).  

Stew thickening, yums! 
 Boiling boiling, Now, throw in your carrots!
The rabbit loves this stuff!
Throw in potatoes, see, you only need 2 for this portion. 
Lovely colours in the pot

What you should do is leave it to simmer for about an hour. The gravy will concentrate at this phase.


After an hour, you can put the lid on (to prevent further evaporation) and leave it on low for another hour.

Sealed with mist

And then, you can serve! I serve mine with rice. Japanese rice would be a great recommendation :)

Rice and Beef Stew


Or , serve it on its own. You can eat it with biscuits or pasta. 

A Simple Beef Stew 


pssst, my kitchen didn't catch fire so I guess it is safe for noobs! 
Om nom nom noms

Fluffeh bunneh loves her beef :P

0 comments:

Search This Blog